Despite our best efforts to stay cheerful and positive, its completely normal to have an ‘off’ day, you know those days when everything seems to go wrong from the moment you get out of bed. Unfortunately, this is just part of life, right?
Well I am here to tell you that waking up on the wrong side of the bed doesn’t mean you should let the whole day go to waste.
I have come up with 16 cures for the average bad day that will help put you in a better mood and will end your day on a positive note.
- Call your best friend – Sometimes a good old fashioned rant is just what you need to get everything off your chest and who better to do that with, than with your bestie.
- Comfort eating – Seriously. When I have a bad day, I feel depressed. I feel empty. My body’s way of dealing with the empty feeling is to binge eat. Of course, binge eating is extremely harmful and toxic to your body. I try to opt for healthy snacks when I want that ‘full’ feeling, but sometimes the healthy snacks do not cut it and a full-size chocolate bar will only do. I don’t recommend this every time you are having a bad day – but once-in-a-while is OK.
- Crying – Sometimes just crying and letting it all out can make you feel better and more refreshed.
- Do something “just for fun” – There are many reasons that you can find yourself in a bad mood, one of these can simply be is that you are not having enough fun. Take yourself to the Cinema, spend the evening playing video games or waste a few hours catching up on the latest season of the Walking Dead.
- Exercise – Exercise has been proven to be beneficial for people who suffer from anxiety or are easily stressed, not only does it increases blood flow to the brain, it releases endorphins, the body’s very own natural antidepressant. So, go out for a jog, take a dance class or even play volleyball at the park with friends – do anything that will get your heat rate up and get your blood pumping.
- Get dressed, put on some makeup – Another way I handle having a bad is to deal with it front on. I simply choose my favourite outfit, style my hair and put on my makeup. Some of my favourite looks have come from experimenting with different makeup, sometimes good things can come out of a bad situation.
- Give your Mum a call – This is a personal favourite of mine. Whenever I am having a bad day, picking up the phone and talking it out with my Mum will always banish the blues.
- Go to your favourite local spot – Occasionally, the reason for a bad day is because you’re lonely. But when you’re in a bad mood, you don’t necessarily want to hang out with friends. When I’m faced with this, I take myself out on a date. If I have some spare money, I’ll take myself out to dinner or I will go to a bookstore and stock up on some reads. If I find myself wallet barren, I’ll go for a walk around the local park and just reconnect myself with the world.
- Have some me time – One reason that you may be having a bad day is because you have built up negative energy from day-to-day stresses of life. The best way I find to release this negative energy is to spend at least an hour pampering myself. Try taking a nice, relaxing bubble bath, light some candles and pop on some Spa music, you wouldn’t believe how relaxed you feel after switching of for even 30 minutes.
- Laughing – The best cure to any bad mood is laughter, do something that will make you laugh uncontrollably. For me watching old episodes of Friends will usually do the trick.
- Listen to music – if all else fails lifting me out of a bad mood, listening to some music is going to do it. Cranking up the sound and dancing around to some cheesy 90’s pop music, Spice Girls, Steps, S-Club-7 as bad as they are normally what lift my spirits.
- Reading – For me there is not a better way to turn my bad mood into a good mood than to lose myself in a good book. Loosing yourself in a book for a couple of hours is one of the best ways to switch of your mind and distract yourself from all the negativity. I find by the time I have read a couple of chapters, I have forgotten why I was in a bad mood in the first place.
- Spread the love – When I have found myself having a bad day, one way to snap myself out of it, is to help or to do something nice for someone. Seeing a person’s positive reaction to this gesture is guaranteed to bring a smile to your face.
- Take a break from Social Media – Now for me being in a bad mood and spending time on social media is a terrible combination. Therefore, log out from everything, instead work on a craft or a hobby that you have been eager to try.
- Take a nap – This one is simple, if you are in a bad mood it could be because your body is exhausted. Taking a power nap can really help sooth my mind and calm my thought, often I will wake feeling more refreshed and in a better frame of mind. Make sure you set your alarm though; sleeping too long can make you groggier than you were before.
- Write it down – When I’m having a particularly bad day, now and then I don’t always feel like talking to anyone; instead of this being a negative reaction, I take this alone time to write it all down. I wear my heart on my sleeve. If I do not focus my negative energy on the day towards something, I will keep it bottled until I snap. Far too often have I barked at people that I care about for the sake of a bad day. I found that writing cures the negative energy, I can pour my heart into an emotional story or focus the energy as motivation to get my work done.
What works best to cure your bad days?
Bye for now Peaches.